Islamic Customs Before Sleeping
18 Oct 2017
Had you had a tough and busy day today? Managed to perform only compulsory prayer?
Did not get time to touch the Quran, recite few supplications or perform optional prayers?
Conquered the world? Now what? Very tired and going to sleep asap without remembering Allah? NO WAY..!
This post contains a few good things you can do daily at night just before sleeping to remember Allah SWT and to earn great rewards from Him insha Allah. Doing these good, short yet powerful deeds won’t take much time and once it becomes a habit you will love doing it insha Allah. Remember,
These are the Sunnah of our beloved Prophet (PBUH)!
PREPARATIONS BEFORE GOING TO BED
- Recite بِسْمِ اللَّهِ Bismillah (In the name of Allah) before closing the doors of the house, before covering utensils with food in them, switch off or turn off fires, light etc. [Bukhari] If one cannot find anything with which to cover the utensil then one should place a stick across the top of the utensil. [Muslim]
- Before climbing into bed, dust the bed thrice with the corner of your clothes. [Bukhari], Muslim, Abu Dawood, Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah]
- To make Miswaak before retiring to bed even if one has already made it for Isha prayer. [Kitabut Tahaarah and Sunnats]
- To sleep in a state of Wudhu [Tabarani, Hakim, Abu Dawood]
- To sleep on the Right, facing the Qibla with the right hand underneath the head like a pillow and with the knees slightly bent. [Bukhari]
LITTLE QURAN RECITATION
- Recite Ayat- ul-Kursi (Quran 2:255)
- Prophet (PBUH) said, “By reciting it (Ayat- ul-Kursi), there will be a guardian appointed over you from Allah who will protect you during the night, and Satan will not be able to come near you until morning” [Al-Bukhari]
- Recite the last two Ayats of Surat Al-Baqarah
- Abu Mas’ud Al-Badri (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: I heard the Prophet (PBUH) saying, “He who recites the two Ayat at the end of Surat Al-Baqarah at night, they will suffice him.” [Al- Bukhari and Muslim]
- Narrated An-Nu’man bin Bashir: that the Prophet (PBUH) said: “Indeed Allahwrote in a book two thousand years before He created the heavens and the earth, and He sent down two Ayat from it to end Surat Al-Baqarah with. If they are recited for three nights in a home, no Shaitan shall come near it.” [Tirmidhi]
- Recite Surat Al-Mulk (Chapter 67 – The Sovereignty) – for protection from the punishment of the grave.
- The Prophet (PBUH) said, “Surah al Mulk is the protector from the torment of the grave” [Sahihul Jamiea 1/680, Hakim 2/498 & Nasai]
- The Prophet (PBUH) said, “There is a surah in the Quran which is only thirty verses.It defended whoever recited it until it puts him into paradise” i.e., Surah al Mulk [Fath al Qadir 5/257, Sahihul Jamiea 1/680,Tabrani inAl-Awsat & Ibn Mardawaith]
- Jabir (radiAllahu anhu) said it was the custom of the Holy Prophet (PBUH) not to go to sleep until he had read Tabarakalladhi Biyadihil Mulk and Alif Laam Meem Tanzeel. [Ahmad, Tirmidhi and Darami]
- Anas (radiAllahu anhu) reported Rasulullah (PBUH) as saying, “There is a Surah which will plead for its reciter till it causes him to enter paradise” (Tabarakalladhi Biyadihil Mulk). [Tabrani]
- Recite Surat Al-Kāfirūn (Chapter 109 – The Disbelievers)
- It was narrated that Nawfal al-Ashja’i (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (PBUH) said to me: “Recite Qul yaa ayyuha’l-kaafiroon then go to sleep at the end of it,for it is a disavowal of shirk.” [Abu Dawood and al-Tirmidhi]
- Recite the last three Soorahs (Quls) of the Quran
- It was narrated from Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) that when the Prophet (PBUH) went to bed every night, he would hold his hands together and blow into them,and recite into them Qul Huwa Allaahu Ahad, Qul a’oodhu bi rabb il-falaq and Qul a’oodhu bi rabb il-naas. Then he would wipe them over whatever he could of his body, starting with his head and face and the front of his body, and he would do that three times. [Bukhari]
You can learn more from out Islamic Etiquette Course.
Learn Quran with Tajweed Rules: The Meem Sakinah
In order to learn Quran with tajweed you have to encounter the Meem Sakinah and apply its three different tajweed rules for pronunciation: Idgham with Ghunnah, Oral Ikhfaa also known as Ikhfaa Shafawi إخفاء شفوي and Oral Izhar, also known as Izhar shafawi إظهار شفوي.READ MORE
Learn Arabic words and phrases: Arabic Numbers (Six to Ten)
We established in part 1 of this article that learning numbers in any language is essential, but since there are an infinite amount of numbers, we will start off with the basics, with which you can form any number. In this article we will continue to learn Arabic numbers from where we left off in our article, ‘Learn Arabic words and phrases: Arabic Numbers (Zero to Five)’. Now we we’ll learn how to write and pronounce Arabic numbers from 6 to 10.READ MORE
Learn Arabic Words and Phrases: Professions
In every culture and language many professions exist. It is no exception in the Arabic language. If you want to learn Arabic words and phrases pertaining to professions, continue reading this article, where we will practice new Arabic vocabulary about several of the main known professions.READ MORE